How will I make the world a better place? #YourEduStory 2015

I find this question to be pretty tricky. I think everyone has the power to make the world a better place, no matter how big or small the difference. As a teacher, I believe I can try to make the world a better place for instilling a passion for learning and the desire to continuously aim high. Nelson Mandela said, ‘Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.’

Being in my 4th year of teaching this year, I feel that it is difficult for me to say how exactly I will make the world a better place. It might be a combination of all the small success stories in the classroom that will make the world a better place. I remember a couple of years ago I was teaching a Year 2 boy who absolutely detested reading. During reading groups, he would read a chapter in a few seconds and yell out “finished!” Of course we knew he couldn’t possibly have read a whole chapter in that time. In addition, he dreaded going to the library and with a great deal of persuasion would borrow a book to take home. That year I specifically tried my best to foster a love of reading in all my students – by constantly talking about the books I was currently reading and reading a wide range of books. We read a couple of Roald Dahl’s like The BFG and James and the Giant Peach in addition to the countless picture books and by Term 4, this same boy was the last person to leave the library and I had to pry his fingers off a book to get his attention.

I am also passionate about providing different opportunities for my students to explore their interests and be empathetic. In the past, my students have worked with UNICEF to write a story about refugees and belonging that was made into a book. Many of them informed me that they did not realise how difficult the lives of refugees were before participating in this activity.

I hope I can continue to make the world a better place, no matter how small the change.