Making real connections at the DLTV conference 2014

Blown away, amazing, practical and awesome are just some of the words to describe this year’s Digital Learning and Teaching Victoria conference at Swinburne. I was fortunate to attend the DLTV conference as both a presenter and attendee. Some great things I took away from the conference (in no specific order) were:

• Inspirational key note speakers (Adrian Camm and Khoa Do). I don’t think I can fully capture the impact these speakers had on me in words. They used their own experiences (as educators and film makers) to show that anything is possible.
  • Seeing the power of Google apps for the classroom and to organise myself as a teacher and my students. I am really making use of Google forms, Google tasks and Google calendar. I have gotten my students to complete post reflection tests using Google forms (I only had access to 6 iPads), but the ease of using it was fantastic.
  • Understanding the importance of giving students more say in their learning and the apps they choose to use. As teachers, we don’t always have time to search and trawl through the thousands of apps out there, but students do. Why not get some appsperts in your class and let them review apps and choose which apps to use to show their thinking?
  • How students can really show their creativity through movie making and green screening. I have now downloaded the app Green Screen by Do Ink and plan to use this with my class. It’s a great app to use especially if you don’t have a 1:1 iPad system.
  • You can learn from everyone. Last year when I attended the conference, I didn’t think I had anything I could bring to the community. However, this year when I chose to present on ‘Blogging in the Early Years’, I realised that everyone has something to contribute. I feel that I shared some useful ideas and knowledge on blogging.
  • Implementing change in schools takes time. I went to a fantastic session on ‘Motivating the Masses’ and this was a main theme throughout the DLTV conference sessions I attended. Whether you are a principal, have a position of leadership or classroom teacher, it all takes a long time. It also doesn’t matter what you are implementing, be it Google apps, iPad apps, etc, you need to be patient and not expect things to change overnight. Before implementing any change, it is very important to know the three Ps which are: knowing your product, your people and your process. It is also so important to get people on your side (followers or early adopters) – see this fantastic clip on leadership, dancing guy.
  • There are so many fantastic teachers out there and I feel so motivated and supported when I talk with them. Meeting people who I have communicated with on twitter and then meeting them in person to chat about teaching is insanely fun.

I can’t wait for next year’s DLTV conference! 🙂